Saturday, August 28, 2010

Poor Duchess is sick!

We took our new dog (a German shepard, maybe a little husky mixed in) that we got from the animal shelter on Wednesday to our vet today.  Poor doggy since we got her every time she sleeps she ends up having episodes where she starts choaking, then shakes because she's scared.  These choaking episodes were lasting about five minutes.  I was so scared for her too.  Then after the choaking episodes she'd have sneezing episodes.  Well the vet thinks it's just an upper respiratory infection and she choaks on the post nasal drips.  So she put her on antibiotics for 10 days.  We can't put the antibiotics in pork products or cheese.  I just wrapped them up in a little soft bread to get her to take them.  So she's now had her first two doses.  I sure hope this helps.  I haven't had good sleep now for 3 days.  She also got her other shots she needed since the animal shelter only gave her a one year rabies vaccine.  We asked the vet if we could get her the dog influenza vaccine, but our vet doesn't give those.  We know one city away is having an outbreak of it with the dogs in their region.
My husband was nice enough to watch the dogs this afternoon since it was his day off, but he worked last night and was tired too.  I was able to get a much needed two hour nap.  I can't believe how well that nap worked at helping me to get rid of the headache I've had for three days now.
All of the dogs have blended into a nice little family now and get along very well.
We have alot to teach Duchess.  She does sit when told, but doesn't know how to heal, how to get in and out of vehicles.  We ended up having to lift her in and out today to get her to the vet.  We have a dog ramp to get our dogs in and out of the Jeep Liberty, but she's afraid of it even with coaching. Hopefully in time she'll get better.  We had a short walk out with all the dogs.  She ignored most of the dogs barking at her from back yards of others, but two dogs she wanted to go to.  My husband had to take quit a bit of effort
to keep her on track near those yards.
Today is her last day of pain pills post the spaying on Wednesday morning at the animal shelter.  She seems to be doing well and doesn't look like she's in pain.  I'm kind of glad the pain pills will be over because I wonder if they might make her too relaxed and that might be part of the choaking issue.
I don't think she was ever given treats by her former owner.  Anytime the last three days we've tried to give her a dog bone she'll turn her head away.  She does eat her dry dog food just fine.  The vet even tried to give her a treat and said she knew what I meant after the dog turned her head away from her fancier treats.
She's now asleep on the extra large orthopedic dog bed that is right beside this computer table.  I hope she doesn't choak tonight.
The vet doesn't think our other dogs will get sick from her since they are in good health and had all the extra  shots in early August this year.  Yet, if they do we'll take them in.
We can get Duchess her Bordello (I think that is how it's spelled) shot after she's finished with her antibiotics. We go to the dog park, so it's recommended.
My husband fell asleep in the recliner.  I think I'll leave him alone for a bit.  Poor thing he worked last night and then stayed up instead of going to bed at all today. 
Well, I'll sign off for now and wish everyone out there a good nights rest and a happy rest of the weekend.
God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment